I am Dr. Bevinje Srinivas Kakkilaya, consultant in internal medicine, practicing at Mangalooru, the coastal city in Karnataka State, South India.
My beloved better half, Dr. Balasaraswathy, is a Dermatologist practicing at Mangalooru and Akshaya is our son. [More about my family here]
We have developed a unique diet and lifestyle programme for the management of metabolic syndrome related disorders, being offered at Spandana Centre for Metabolic Medicine at Light House Hill Road, Mangalooru.
My fortnightly column on health related issues, titled Arogya Prabha, is published in Kannada Prabha, the leading Kannada Daily. [Links on the right] Earlier, my fortnightly column titled Arogya Ashaya, was published in Vijaya Karnataka. [Links on the right]
Currently, I am also a co-investigator in the project titled Malaria Research Training in South India being conducted by the Kuvempu University Consortium, Shimoga, Karnataka, in collaboration with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, USA, and funded by the Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA.
More About Me
What’s in my name? Srinivas is the name my parents gave me. Kakkilaya is derived from Kakkolu-illu-aaya – one belonging to Kakkolu, our ancestral home – or illu in Tulu. Bevinje is the village near Cherkala, 8 kms from Kasaragod in northern Kerala, where my paternal family home is now located. It is just adjacent to Kakkolu, our ancestral location.
I was born in Mangalooru. After the first two years of schooling here, we moved to Badiadka in Kasaragod Taluk, where I continued my early education for 4 years. We moved back to Mangalooru in 1976-77 and from then on, we have been living here. I passed my M.B.,B.S. from Kasturba Medical College here in 1987 -88 and then passed my M.D. in General Medicine from Karnatak Medical College, Hubli in 1992. My upbringing and world views have been immensely influenced by my parents – my father Sri B.V. Kakkilaya, a freedom fighter, political activist, former member of Rajya Sabha and Karnataka Vidhana Sabha, award winning writer and well known orator and my mother, late Ahalya, who was ever caring and very passionate about education.
As a student, I was actively involved in progressive and rationalist movements, participating in many programmes that aimed to promote scientific temper. As a post graduate student in Hubli, I was actively involved with the Junior Doctors Association as its founder member and strived to improve the facilities at the medical college and its hospital. I was also the founder executive member of the Karnataka State Junior Doctors’ Association from 1989 to 1992.
After returning to Mangalooru post MD in 1992 , I joined Padmashree Hospital and Research Centre, a 60 bedded multi-specialty hospital (then affiliated to the A.B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences under Nitte Education Trust) as a full time Physician and Lecturer in Medicine. Later I joined the K.S Hegde Medical Academy at Deralakatte as a faculty of Medicine in December 1998 and resigned as Associate Professor from KSHEMA in March 2005 to pursue full time practice.
In July 1995, I, along with experts of Community Medicine from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalooru, initiated the Malaria Control Programme in the city and was appointed as the Secretary of the Malaria Control Action Committee by the then Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Bharathlal Meena. I have since then continued to contribute to the antimalaria campaign in Mangalooru whenever called for. I was a member of the Epidemic Rapid Action Team (E-RAT), constituted to investigate the Leptospirosis epidemic that occurred in and around Surathkal, near Mangalooru, in August – September 1999. I have also assisted the Corporation Health authorities in investigating the suspected outbreak of Chikungunya in Mangalooru in September 2006. I have also been a member of the District Tuberculosis Control Society.
I was the Secretary of the Dakshina Kannada Chapter of Association of Physicians of India in 1993 and during that period organised a C.M.E. Programme on Sexual Medicine. In 1994 I was the editor of Lions Roar, the house magazine of Lions Club of Mangalore and won the best editor award. In 1994 and 1995, I was the founder editor of Medilore, the bi-monthly newsletter of the Dakshina Kannada Chapter of Indian Medical Association.
I have organised several Continuing Medical Education (CME) Programmes under the auspices of Padmashree Hospital in 1992 and 1993 and at KSHEMA between 1999 and 2002. While at KSHEMA I also started the Clinical Society and was its first Secretary in 1999-2000; started and edited the College Bulletin KSHEMA for two years, from January 1999 to December 2000; developed the web sites for the institution, namely, www.nittetrust.org and www.kshema.edu; initiated Sahara health check programme for the elderly and Akshaya programme for the treatment of tuberculosis patients.
I visited the University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas, U.S.A., in February 2000 for discussions on setting up collaborative research in malaria and other communicable diseases and as a result, a Regional Research Centre for Communicable Diseases was set up at K.S. Hegde Medical Academy in August, 2000. I also presented posters on malaria control initiative in Mangalooru and investigation into the Leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal at the New Challenges in Tropical Medicine and Parasitology conference held at Oxford, UK on Sep 18-22, 2000.
I have also collaborated with the researchers at the ID-FISH, Inc., Palo Alto, California, USA in developing a novel FISH assay for the diagnosis of malaria on thin smears. The results have now been published in Plos ONE dated Sep 2, 2015 [See]
I have developed a comprehensive web site on malaria, first such from India, that provides detailed information on the aetiology, clinical features, diagnosis, treatment, complications, control measures and prophylaxis of malaria, malaria in children and pregnancy and malaria in Mangalooru. The site can be accessed at http://www.malariasite.com
I am also the Chief Editor of the Online Journal of Health and Allied Sciences (www.ojhas.org), the first peer-reviewed, online only biomedical journal of India being published since 2002, that is now archived in Open Access archives like Cogprints, HINARI, Open Med, Scopus, DOAJ etc.
I have also developed a website for promotion of Rational Medical Practice. It can be accessed at http://www.rationalmedicine.org
I am also the webmaster of the family web site of Kakkilayas of Bevinje, at http://www.kakkilaya.com
A documentary on filariasis scripted by me has been telecast on the UGC channel of Doordarshan. A 13 part feature Aarogya Sampada scripted by me was aired on All India Radio, Mangalore in 2001 and later from AIR, Madikeri.
I am the Secretary of Dhrithi Foundation, a charitable Trust established to support the cause of education. Under the guidance of Vidyaposhak, Dharwad and with the help of donors such as the Prerana Trust of Infosys, Mangalore, Dhrithi Foundation has extended support to the tune of nearly 10 lakh rupees to more than 600 students since 2006.
I have translated eight books from English to Kannada and these have been published by Navakarnataka Publications (Pvt.) Ltd., Bangalore. My first book, Flu Endu Hedaruvireke, (Why fear the Flu?) has seen two prints and has been awarded the first Dr. Chandrappa Gowda Prize for Best Medical Literature 2010 by the Karnataka Sangha, Shivamogga.
I am a regular contributor to arogyasampada.com, a community blog in Kannada on health related issues.
I also write on Complete Wellbeing, a health magazine published from Mumbai.
I have been a speaker at several CME and other programs on healthcare and rationalism in different parts of Karnataka and Kerala.
- September 20, 2015: International Cardio Diabetology Conference, Fr. Muller’s Medical College, Mangalore – Cardio Diabetic Diet: Turning on its Head
- May 2, 2015, KMC, Manipal: CME on Parasitic Diseases in India – Diagnosis and Prevention. Challenges in the management of malaria in India
- January 24, 2015, Srinivas Medical College, Mukka: Biochemistry CME – Lecture on Gut Feelings
- December 21, 2014, KMC, Manipal: CME on Antimicrobial Resistance – Emerging Drug resistance in Malaria
- November 9, 2014, FOGSI-JOGI-PICSEP Scientific Programme – Vested interests, Misdeeds and Misconduct in Scientific Research, Art of presenting at a conference, judging a paper at conference
- March 23, 2014, IMA Shimoga: CME lecture – Devil in the Drugs
- October 2013, API – MERT CME Programme at Bangalore: Acute Severe Malaria
- June 4, 2013, Yenepoya Medical College, Deralakatte: Biochemistry CME – Nutrient Keys to Modern Diseases
- August 7, 2011, API, IMA Shimoga: CME lecture on Malaria –Current status of management
- April 21, 2012, KMC, Manipal: ICMR Symposium on Infectious Diseases – Current Challenges in the treatment of malaria
- Others: CMEs and Lectures at KMC, Mangalore, IMA Kasaragod, IMA Udupi, IMA Mangaluru, IMA Kanhangad, IMA Suratkal, IMA Puttur, IMA Buntwal, IMA Moodabidare, IMA Bellary, IMA Hubballi, API Mangaluru, Fr Muller’s Medical College, Mangalore, KS Hegde Medical Academy, AJ Hosiptal and Research Centre, Padmashree Hospital, and elsewhere
My academic publications/presentations are listed below:
- Kiran K. Dayanand, Kishore Punnath, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Sathyanarayan N. Tiwari, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Sudarshan S. Kadambi and D. Channe Gowda. Malaria Transmission Under an Unusual Circumstance Causing Death in Two Siblings. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2016;16-0082 Published online May 2, 2016, doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0082. Available at http://www.ajtmh.org/content/early/2016/04/28/ajtmh.16-0082.abstract
- Jyotsna Shah, Olivia Mark, Helena Weltman, Nicolas Barcelo, Wai Lo, Danuta Wronska, Srinivas Kakkilaya, Aravinda Rao, Shalia T. Bhat, Ruchi Sinha, Sabah Omar, Peter O’bare, Manuel Moro, Robert H. Gilman, Nick Harris. Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH) Assays for Diagnosing Malaria in Endemic Areas. PLOS One. September 2, 2015. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0136726. Full Text at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0136726
- Kakunje A, Angri SB, Kakkilaya BS, Puthran SS. Headscarf (hijab) pin aspiration: effects of fashion phenomenon in Islam girls. AP J Psychological Medicine July-Dec 2014;15(2):179-80. At http://www.apjpm.org/images/thumbs/apjpm-july-dec-2014.pdf [See]
- Padukone S, Devaraju PB, Puttaswamy R, Kakkilaya BS, Ghosh SK, Gowda CD, Achur RN. Control Measures and Malaria Persistence in Mangalore City in South-Western India. In proceeding of: Advances in Plasmodium vivax Malaria Research, At CosmoCaixa, Barcelona, Spain [See]
- Shah JS, Weltman H, Mark O, Barcelo N, Harris N, Caoili E, Kakkilaya S, Kedige AR, Gilman R. Fluorescent In-Situ Hybridizations Assays (P-Genus and PFV- FISH) for Detection and Differentiation of Plasmodium Species Directly on Blood Smears. Abstract 3207. Am Soc Trop Med Hyg. Annual Meet Nov 18–22, 2009. Washington. [List of Abstracts]
- Kakkilaya BS. Insulin Resistance: From theory to practice. Online J Health Allied Scs.2006;1:1 [Full Text Online]
- Kakkilaya BS. Rational Medicine. Physician’s Digest. Apr-May 2006;15(1):87-91
- Kakkilaya BS. Rational Medicine: Need of the hour. Calicut Medical Journal. 2004;2(3):e(1) [Full text Online]
- Kakkilaya BS. Rapid Diagnosis of Malaria. Lab Medicine. 2003 Aug;8(34):602-608 [Full Text Online]
- Ananth N, Praveenkumar GS, Rao AK, Vasanthi, Kakkilaya BS. Two cases of hereditary fructose intolerance. Ind Journal Clin Biochem. 2003;18(2):87-92 [Full Text Online]
- Balasaraswathy P, Kakkilaya BS, Shetty KM, Parameshwaraiah S. A case of diabetes mellitus with xanthoma disseminatum. Ind J Dermatol. 2002;47(1):29-31. [Full Text Online]
- Kakkilaya BS, Balasaraswathy P, Motha B. Leptospirosis and Ground Itch. Tropical Doctor. 2001 October 31;252
- Kakkilaya BS, Rao R, Motha B, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. Investigation of a leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal. Ind Journal Comm Health. 2001;7(1&2):1-11
- Kakkilaya BS. Methemoglobinemia due to p-chloroaniline. J Forensic Med Toxicol. 2001 Jan-Jun;18(1):4-5
- Kakkilaya BS, Motha B, Rajeev, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. Effect of a community centered voluntary initiative for malaria control in Mangalore. In Bundy D, Warrel D, Co-Chairman, Scientific committee. Final programme and abstract book, Oxford 2000, New Challenges in tropical medicine and parasitology, 2000 Sep 18-22; Oxford. Cheshire: Complete Congress Services Ltd; 2000. p. 159
- Kakkilaya BS, Motha B, Rajeev, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. Investigation of a leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal. In Bundy D, Warrel D, Co-Chairman, Scientific committee. Final programme and abstract book, Oxford 2000, New Challenges in tropical medicine and parasitology, 2000 Sep 18-22; Oxford. Cheshire: Complete Congress Services Ltd; 2000. p. 139